Let me just say right off the bat that I'm kind of snap judgement (and judgemental) kind of person. If something is really, really popular I automatically think that it must be trash. If the general population is going ga-ga over it, it must be an opiate for the masses and not worth my time. And many, many times I've been wrong. Grey's Anatomy -- oh, it just another trashy soap opera type show. Wrong! Now I'm addicted and can't wait for the new season. American Idol -- give me a break! Who cares?!! I DO! I got hooked on the season of Chris Daughtry, et al and now I actually vote! Like a teenager!
The other thing I was extremely scornful of was blogs. Who cares what random Joe or Joanne Schmo thinks about...whatever. Who wants to spend their time reading some random stranger's thoughts about stuff. I DO! I hereby officially apologize to all bloggers out there and officially declare myself one of you! I Love you guys! So, for my very first Thursday Thirteen, I'm listing my 13 favorite blogs. They're not in any particular order except for the first one. The first one is the one that started it all!
1. Faster Than Kudzu by author Joshilyn Jackson. Someone loaned me her first novel, gods in Alabama and I noticed in the back that she had a website. So I went, read some of her old posts and I was hooked. And hers was the only one I read for a very long time. I don't know why I never explored any others. But one day I was bored and I started clicking through some of the other links. And the rest, as they say, is history.
2. Woulda Coulda Shoulda I think the very day that I started reading this blog I noticed that Mir was moving to my town. Wha? I know how hard it is to move to a new town and not know anyone, so I emailed her and offered to help out with the "getting to know the town" kind of stuff. We emailed back and forth for a while and we've gotten together a couple of times and you know what? She's just as nice and as funny as heck as she is in her blog. Some of her posts have made me howl with laughter.
3. A Hole in the Fence by Sophie. I honestly can't remember how I came across this blog, but I'm so glad I did. Her life seems so similar to mine. Plus, she's got a Pumpkin and I've got a Punkin'! She's also got a very dry sense of humor which I appreciate. And last but not least, she gave me my Blog Star award yesterday -- my first blogging award and I'll always treasure it!
4. Lulu's Laundry by Lulu. Again, I can't remember exactly how I came across her blog, but this post hooked me. I think this is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my entire life. If you can read this without crying with laughter, there is something seriously wrong with you!
5. Suburban Turmoil by Lindsey. Lindsey used to be a television reporter and still works off an on in Nashville. Her post has just enough celebrity flash to satisfy my need for all things trashy, but intelligent enough to keep me coming back.
6. Precarious Tomato Mir turned me on to this blog because the author is also a local. I'm so glad she did because Tammy is hilarious. I've met her a couple of times, too, and she too is so nice and funny in person. And she's just recently announced that she's expecting her first child so she's opened herself up for ALL KINDS of mothering advice.
7. Maresydoats I found this blog through Faster Than Kudzu. Mar won a Blogging for Books award for this post. It so perfectly captured how I feel sometimes -- plus, the phrase "snuggly little snoozer" was just too perfect not to add to my vocabulary. Mar doesn't post often, which is disappointing for those of us who like her blog, but she's a busy lady, so I understand.
8. Miss Doxie I've seen a lot of people list Miss Doxie on their faves list - and there's a reason. She's funny as hell. She doesn't post very much either, but when she does, look out!
9. Daily Tragedies Again, not sure how I found her, but I started checking in and like the way she said things. And she's not afraid to be very introspective, which I admire. Plus, she likes the Beastie Boys and how can you not like that?
10. My Own Circle of Confusion A lot of the blogs that I'm drawn to have similar themes -- working (or sometimes non-working) mom, small kids, harried life. Anyway, I enjoy it. I keep going back. She only has two sets of clean sheets for the kids' beds too. I feel so much better!
11. The Tea Party Place Laurel was one of the very first people that I didn't actually know who commented on my blog! I was thrilled, so of course I checked her blog out and found that we have so many things in common. Once when her post mentioned that her son was sick and then she didn't post for about 5 or 6 days I actually got quite concerned. Fortunately, everything was okay -- well, as okay as 2 kids with strep can be. You should check out the pictures of her recent trip to her hometown. Amazing!
12. Stay At Home Mom Going Quickly Insane I swear, when I read her post I wondered if I was secretly blogging in my sleep under an assumed name. It was truly freaky. Go read this post titled "Am I Normal" and you will know what I look like in the mornings just trying to get out of the house. Freakily, freakily similar. In a good way! :)
13. Full Hands Mom This mom is an even newer blogger than I am, but I think she's doing a great job so far. I know for a fact that she has stepped way outside of her comfort zone to start blogging and for that I want to give her this...
Keep up the good work! You're a star!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants