Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Perfection, fleeting

This morning as I went to wake Punkin, I realized that my children are never more perfect than when they're sleeping. Little angels, hands still clutching lovies, sweet breath, soft skin. The day hasn't begun yet, there have been no tantrums, no tears. No defiance has yet marred the day.

But I also realize at that same moment that I'm never a more perfect mother. I haven't been dismissive or angry. I haven't had to repeat myself a thousand times. I haven't yelled or lost my patience.

Oh, to be able to hold on to that moment for the entire day.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great way to balance the picture. I often think of how perfect my children are when they are sleeping. It has never crossed my mind that, at that point in the day, I haven't erred as a mother either. Thanks for keeping things real.

Robyn said...

I love this. I feel exactly the same way - I always get a lump in my throat when I watch my kids sleep.

calicobebop said...

I know how you feel, except I never pause to savor that moment. I will tomorrow!

for a different kind of girl said...

So, so true. There are some mornings where I lay in bed and send up a little prayer that things (and I)(more so I) stay as peaceful and calm as I do in those first moments of the day. I could stand do do that more.

Katie in MA said...

That is the best reason I've heard yet for calling in to work and going back to bed! ;) Hey, family first, right? (I'll let you know how it goes when I try it...)

maggiegracecreates said...

Wow - Leandra you are very good here. I am glad you shared this side of you. Besides - far as I'm concerned Pinkin is pretty much an angel most of the time.