Monday, September 8, 2008

Thank God It's Monday!

Well, this was not a great weekend. Yesterday I had to do something I've never done before and I hope I'll never have to do again.

I had to forcefully drag Punkin away from her friend's birthday party because of her misbehavior.

She started having a tantrum because a much younger child got the riding toy she wanted. I offered her another riding toy, but she didn't want it and she kicked and screamed and fell dramatically to the floor. When I gave her her first warning she hit me (halfheartedly, I'll admit, but the intention was there) and I put her in time out and told her that if she didn't straighten up we were going home. She calmed down a little.

But when she saw that another friend had started riding the alternative toy she went berserk. I offered her a third riding toy but she continued to scream and kick and cry. I looked around and all the other children were playing happily. I thought, we could stay. I could give her one more chance. Then, Tootsie, I'll admit I thought of you. I left her there, in hysterics, and found the hostess. I apologized for leaving but told her that Punkin's behavior required that we go.

I carried Punkin kicking and screaming and thrashing to the car. An employee of the party place stopped to see if we needed an ice pack. No, just a nap. She sobbed and wailed. I buckled her in. Amazingly I remained calm through the whole thing. Mortified, but calm.

She sobbed for a good fifteen minutes, begging to go back to the party. I'll be honest, I cried a little too. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. And even right now, it makes me feel sad.

There's been a lot of stress in our house lately. Punkin's behavior has been been very trying...and tiring. Yesterday Mr. Daddy's car wouldn't start. Those things, plus a few others have me a little stressed. All of it has just left feeling angry at the world, pig bitin' mad (as Mr. Daddy would say).

One ray of sunshine to which I will cling the rest of the day -- the star/sticker chart that we've created to reward good tooth brushing habits on Punkin's part seems to be working like a charm. I totally stole the chart thing from Mir, but I don't think she'll mind.

I never thought I would be glad to see Monday roll around. Here's to a better week. It's gotta get better 'cause it can't get any worse.

17 comments:

1blueshi1 said...

Look at it this way...if Tootsie's blog post and commenters are to be believed (and why shouldn't we? hehehe) hopefully that is the only time you will ever have to do that.
I am proud of you, for staying calm and doing what needed to be done.
I wish there was a birthday party that I could make Bookey leave, but unfortunately The Whining is around the house.
Forget the Shining, you have not experienced true, bonechilling terror until The Whining attacks you fervidly in both earholes.

Anonymous said...

It must be a three year old thing...

Emma will be three next week, and I've noticed her usually mellow behavior go all wonky the last couple of weeks. Sigh...

I totally sympathize with you.

But hopefully, it's just a phase and they'll both be back to normal soon. :)

el-e-e said...

Oh, it breaks my heart to read that you cried a little! I totally would have, too!! But GOOD JOB, you did the exact right thing.

Sigh.

Such a trial sometimes, these little ones.

Unknown said...

We were at ballet class on Saturday when a little girl (I'm guessing about 3) threw a major tantrum because she didn't want class to end. Her mother very calmly took her out of the building, but I was surprised by how many mothers were giving her dirty looks. I said, "We've all been there, haven't we?" and watched as the other mothers relaxed, nodded, smiled. "Boy, haven't we?" said someone. Yeah, I sympathize.

Fannie said...

Hard to do, but right on target. And I swear that 3 yo was harder than 2 yo with my girls!

for a different kind of girl said...

I totally understand your stress about it, and how it made you feel, but I SOOOO so respect the fact that you carried through with the consequence. I think they realize a lot faster that we're not kidding when we give them warnings and consequences, and that when they're triggered, they recall the last time and what happened, and it turns them around.

I hope today is good for you!

calicobebop said...

Oh my goodness! I feel for you - I truly do. I have been faced with similar situations and not handled them as calmly as you did. I hope this week goes smoothly for you both!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Yikes, sorry to hear about that. I can imagine those things are enough to get anyone down. Good luck this week with your new weapon!

Laurel said...

Oh, I feel ya! I can't tell you how many times I had to carry Logan out of a party, store, preschool, wedding rehearsal (nightmare!) in the middle of a meltdown. (Have I mentioned before that she was a VERY trying toddler?) There were moments I didn't know if I was helping or hurting. Was I doing the right thing? Was there something I was missing? Parenting is soooo hard sometimes.

The good news??? She has turned into the most sweet, obedient, and sensitive child. Truly. It's just that there is a BIG spirit in there that she had to get a handle on.

Keep fighting the good fight. You're a good mom.

Angie McCullagh said...

Good discipline, mom. Sounds like you were reasonable and calm and did just what you said you would.

Burgh Baby said...

You done good, Mom. I swear it.

Karen said...

Ugh, those are the days when you wish you could turn back time and have that innocent newborn back again. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had such a trying weekend! For what it's worth, I think you did absolutely the right thing with Punkin. Doesn't make it any easier when you're going through it, though, does it? I like to think of all the times I won't have to go through it in the future...and then make myself a great big drink. That always helps. :)

My dear sweet Bee had a meltdown during breakfast because I am a mean mom and made her wear her new sneakers. (Her old ones are broken.) I was so glad today was a work day and then felt guilty. But just a little bit!

Anonymous said...

Oy. Sorry it was a hard weekend, my friend. Yes, this week WILL be better!

HalfAsstic.com said...

Bless your heart! Tantrums are a force of nature.
Here's to a great week!

Wineplz said...

I'm sorry you had a rough weekend. We felt like Gavin was in time-out a lot this weekend, too. Disciplining your child is always hard, but you did the right thing, and it sounds like you handled it very well with calm (whereas I would've probably been screeching...LOL).

I hope your week gets better (and Mr. Daddy's car behaves itself!).

Sass said...

Good for you. I'm definitely one for picking my threats carefully, since I have every intention of carrying them out.