Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Let's Go to the Fair!

It's county fair time in these parts. Our county's fair began tonight and the fair in the county I grew up in is the first week of October. I love the fair. I always have. When I was very small, we lived across the street from the fairground, and while I'm sure my mother wasn't thrilled with the lights and the noise night after night, to a child it was heaven.

We would watch the fair come into town. The big trucks would roll in and the rides would start going up. Sometimes we'd wander over and watch through the fence. Our ran a concession booth and my mom usually worked in it at least one night. I'd sit at the counter while she worked and when her shift was over we'd hit all the rides. When I was older I was allowed to roam the fairgrounds with a friend, checking in with my mom every once in a while.

Now I love taking my kids to the fair. I love to see their eyes shine when they see all the lights blinking and see all the games (the games!). I love to watch them on the rides, spinning around, smiling so big that their teeth are about to fall out, calling out "Mommy, look at me!"

Because my grandparents were in the dairy business, we always check out the livestock barns. There's something peaceful about cows. Their quiet chewing. The smell of hay. Our second favorite stop are the chicken pens. You know, there are some crazy looking chickens out there in the world.

Oh, and don't forget the food. Where else can you get polish sausages, cotton candy, candy and caramel apples, and funnel cake all in one place. For one night, our dietary restrictions are laid aside and we eat fair food. I mean seriously, for me it's not a trip to the fair until I get my caramel apple!

I still like to ride some of the bigger rides myself. I'm a little bit of a daredevil and I will ride just about anything out there. Now Mr. Daddy on the other hand, does not like the rides at all. He will ride the rides at official theme parks like Six Flags or Dollywood, but he just can't bring himself to trust that the rides at the fair have been put together properly.

Me? I guess I just suspend my disbelief for a while. And really? Isn't that what the fair is all about?

12 comments:

Fannie said...

Man, now all I want is FAIR FOOD!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

"Where else can you get polish sausages, cotton candy, candy and caramel apples, and funnel cake all in one place. "

Magic Mountain! Oh wait. You said Polish sausages. Never mind.

Laurel said...

Do they do those deep fried Twinkies or Snickers? Just once I'm going to try those just to say I did. That's a heart attack on a stick, I tell you.

By the way, you have been very kind not to mention the humiliation your Dawgs served up here in the desert. Ouch!

Lauren said...

Well I hope you finally get your funnel cake!! Im super jealous..I love the fair too-but Im with Mr. Daddy on the rides...I'll watch from the ground thanks:)

Anonymous said...

ELEPHANT EARS! Oh man, I'm with fannie, I want fair food. Have fun! And remember there are no calories...and what LITTLE calories there are, they get burned on the rides.

Anonymous said...

Are you going to stop being friends with me if I admit that I have lived here for 8 years and have NEVER been to our country fair? Every year I say we'll go (to myself, I wouldn't take back something I said to the kids) and every year I put it off and put it off and then it's gone. I'm good for nothing, that's what!

Elisa said...

I went to the fair recently... I had deep fried twinkies, oreos AND peanut butter sandwiches. Then promptly had a heart attack.

I heart the fair.

calicobebop said...

Mmmm, fair food... Last year I saw deep-fried-macaroni and cheese! Isn't America amazing?!?

I love the fair too - I will probably write a post about it after we go. Seeing it though a child's eyes makes it magical all over again!

for a different kind of girl said...

Mmmm..funnel cakes! Our county fair isn't much of a big deal, but the state fair is fantastic, and we look forward to going every year. My husband grew up near the fairgrounds, and his dad's law office was right around the block, so some afternoons, his dad would lock up early and they'd cross over and enjoy the day.

Hope you enjoy your time there!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh yea, fair is for food!! But I haven't a deep fried twinkie yet. Hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I love the fair!!!! I grew up in Iowa and first was the county fair, which was held in our town. It was so exciting! The State Fair was always the big deal, but the smaller county fair was much more "ours".

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say I've never been to a County Fair. That's a little sad I think. I'm with Mr. Daddy on those rides though. My husband used to BE on of those stoned teenagers they hired to help assemble those things. NO thank you. :P