I've come to the conclusion that dealing with toddlers and very early preschoolers is very much like dealing with your drunk best friend. I came to this realization the other evening as I was helping Punkin put her pajamas on. She was doing the opposite of everything I said and trying to get her to focus on the task at hand was trying at best. I started thinking about it and the following are ways that toddlers/preschoolers are like drunks:
1. Prone to unexplained fits of crying.
2. Crying jags often followed by fits of hysterical giggles.
3. May remove all clothing with little to no provocation.
4. Likely to hang all over you while you're trying to help them get their clothes on, impeding all progress.
5. Insist that you go the bathroom with them. One hundred times a night.
6. May wet themselves.
7. Might throw up on you.
8. Gets more adamant that they can do it the more you try to help them (no matter what it is that they're trying to do.)
9. Will recount hilarious (to them!) story that is basically incomprehensible to the rest of us (often the plot of the latest Dora/Wow Wow Wubzy/Scooby Doo episode).
10. They piss the ever loving crap out of you with their behavior, but you can't help but love them anyway.
5 years ago