Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Twenty Down. Only Eighty More to Go!

Here's my latest installment of my 100 Things. But first I have to share this with you. Last night we were eating dinner. Bubba asked for more milk and then proceeded to tell us he needed to go potty. As he walked down the hall toward the bathroom he said "I expect to see milk on the table when I get back." Cheeky monkey! I couldn't even scold him because I was laughing too hard.

90. I’m kind of a music snob.

89. BUT. I like Pink. The singer. It’s kind of a secret shame of mine (not anymore!). I think I like the fact that she’s a kick-ass woman who has charted her own career course and seems not to care what others think of her. She’s no Britney, that’s for sure. In case you’re interested, this and this are my favorite Pink songs.

88. I love coffee. I’m an addict. I started drinking it right after college when I joined the work force but I got really hooked when Mr. Daddy managed a Starbucks. Back then we got a free pound a week. Sigh. I seriously think they put heroin in their coffee. I think somebody needs to look into it. Seriously.

87. I love Bob Dylan. My mom loves him more. I've seen him in concert three times and once took a day off work to get tickets for my family.

86. I hate 70s music. Back in those days my mom told us that the radio in our car was broken, but knowing what I know now about my mother (and what I’ve been tempted to do many a time myself) is that our radio was not, in fact, broken. I grew up listening to Bob Dylan (see #87), Simon and Garfunkel, and Cat Stevens.

85. I’m a packrat. I’ve gotten better over the years, but I still have boxes and boxes of stuff from high school. I saved all my prom dresses for my daughter, long before Punkin was even a twinkle in her daddy’s eye. I have a really hard time deciding which of Bubba and Punkin's "art" to keep and which to throw away. They're all keepers in my eye.

84. I wish I were a better letter writer. I think it’s a lost and dying art form. My roommate from Governor’s Honors was an awesome letter writer. Granted, it was pre-email, but her letters were great and I still have most of them 17 years later.

83. I’m becoming fond of the Oxford comma. MacKenzie, a co-worker, has converted me. It often DOES clear up ambiguity.

82. I had a tonsillectomy in the third grade. Several years later I went to the doctor for a sore throat and the doctor called my mom into his office. I thought I had throat cancer or something. Turns out my tonsils grew back. It happens sometimes, apparently

81. I generally like bugs. I know that’s kind of weird and there are some bugs that definitely don’t make the cut, but I’m not afraid to pick up a beetle. Or a cricket. Or even a worm – okay I know a worm is not a bug, but they definitely fall into the creepy/slimy bracket for some people.


And there we are. This is much harder than it looks, by the way!

16 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Even pregnant, I must have my coffee.. and even though it takes me weeks to get used to decaf (sometimes I half-caf it - the shame!) I still need it in the mornings, if for nothing else than the comfort.

I never knew tonsils could grow back! So weird! Mine were taken out when I was 4 too and I'd be pissed if they were back b/c Mike had his out 3 years ago and apparently it is like death for adults!

Queen Mother said...

The Queen Mother wishes to state that the radio was indeed broken. Though she has been known to make ambiguous statements (e.g., the cat that just "wasn't there" upon arrival home because she, in fact, had given it away for adoption...), she has never resorted to outright lie. Well... maybe the monster in the refrigerator that kept the butter safe was a stretch. But the singing together and the songs learned while traveling would almost justify a fib, huh?

Anonymous said...

I used to use the serial comma but now I don't. I don't know why/how; it just happened...probably around the time I started drinking coffee.

Anonymous said...

Oh-me-oh-my. Now I'm going to have to check and make sure my tonsils aren't growing!

Madame Queen said...

Since this is the first time the Queen Mother has commented I feel compelled to reply. Yes, it was the "lost" cat and the "lost" remote that you couldn't find for Win that made me suspect the radio story might have been a fib. BUT, you are correct, the singing on trips would have completely justified any fib. Those are some of my best memories!

Karen said...

I love the broken radio! Although my kids would totally say "move over, Mom. I'll fix it."

I'm with you on Starbucks. I've found coffee that's every bit as good at a fraction of the price. Do you think I can quit the addiction?

Angie McCullagh said...

I had no idea about the tonsils. Did you have to get the second set removed too?

Lauren said...

I LOVE the queen mother's rebuttal. (i think i spelled that wrong. why don't they put spell check on the comments???!!) How funny.

Cat stephens is one of my favorites...I found an old record of my moms and would listen to him (all crackly) on this old record player we had. Fond memories for me.

That Bubba sure is a tough one! WAS there milk when he got back??

Esme said...

Madam, these are great!!! I have to say, though...

#88 - Me, too. The Mr, too. So much so, in fact, that he bought me a semi-automatic espresso maker so all I have to do to get my fix is press a button.

#85 -- Oh my Gawd, me too.

#82 -- Wha wha WHAT?

Burgh Baby said...

I too am a serial comma user. I rather like our type.

Starbucks coffee is laced with crack. There is no other explanation for how I became addicted, despite the fact that I don't actually like coffee.

Anonymous said...

I can't help but say these things about your list:

#88 - Me too! Me love COFFEE! Even better, Starbucks.

86 - Broken radio. Riiiiiiight. I'm using that one.

85 - oh no.

83 - Me too! After an editor I used to work with browbeat me into it.

Laurel said...

Wow. You can come to my house and pick up bugs anytime. I hate them and scream like the girl I am when I see them; but I will be brave and kill them if Mr. Wicke is not around. I'm not a total pansy.

Anonymous said...

I am such a fan of the Oxford comma. Although I had no idea that it was called that. And I call myself a writer...

BTW - I love it that Queen Mother is now monitoring your posts! That is so funny to me...

Wineplz said...

I also am a packrat and huge fan of the Oxford comma. I freak if others don't use it (er, the comma...not packratting). Wish I could throw things away easier. *sigh*
also, be glad your radio was "broken" during the 70's (and maybe early 80's)...otherwise you'd be like me and singing along to every sappy awful song at the grocery store.
and I am a coffee fiend, too. switched to half-caff while pg because I still needed SOMETHING to wake me up each morning and get those two brain cells working.

1blueshi1 said...

hehe, in VA I became addicted to the hot young Starbucks guys at the cash register flirting with me! kid you not, I pulled into one on our way out of town for a last Gingerbread latte, was absently reapplying lipgloss to my chapped lips as I scanned the baked offerings and the counter guy asked if I was doing that for his benefit...I looked up and my first thought was, I could be your mother!
I guess that's when you know you really ARE old enough to be their mother, right? LOL

pave said...

I adore the Oxford comma. The esteemed Mrs. Swensen is responsible for that, in fact. While I was writing the newsletter, she sent me to a grammar class. I learned in that class that a) the serial comma was in standard use until WWII, at which time it was generally dropped to save space in newspapers, and b) it was resurrected for common usage when a probate case hinged on its omission (something to the effect of an estate was left to Tom, Dick and Harry in equal portions - Tom sued that he was, based on language, entitled to half of the estate, leaving Dick and Harry to split the remainder. Dick and Harry sued that it was meant to be split equally into thirds). I've used it ever since.

To be fair, I strongly suspect this is apocryphal. But why take chances? ;)