Monday, August 24, 2009

Dude, Do You Have to Be Such A Downer

Last night, before bed, as we were winding the children down, we somehow came across the Arctic/Antarctic episode of Planet Earth. And wow. The photography was amazing and the stories fascinating.

But duuuuude. Depressing much?

In her sonorous voice of doom, the narrator intones "Somehow, in the confusion, the calf was separated from the herd" as the camera focuses in on the wobbly calf in the freezing snow with the wolf lurking nearby.

Or "Injured by the tusks of the walrus, this polar bear can hardly walk. If he doesn't find food soon, this polar bear will die" as the camera zooms in as the polar bear collapses in the mud.

When we then had to sit and watch a cluster of baby penguins shivering to death, well, that was it for me. I mean, it was fascinating and all, but if I want to be that depressed I'll just watch the news. I know nature is red in tooth and claw but next time I'm watching something a little more cheerful!

3 comments:

Katie @ Can'tGetThere said...

Sounds like they put even Bambi to shame! Note to self if I ever come across it: watch it on mute.

What did the kids have to say about it all?

for a different kind of girl said...

I remember sitting all cozy in my living room watching Planet Earth when it first aired, and marveling at it all. Then we tuned into an episode featuring monkeys and the older monkeys turned on a younger one who was lost and tore it apart and my jaw dropped to the floor an I've never been able to look at a monkey the same way since! Nature is a harsh mistress sometimes!

Laurel said...

What a note to go to bed to. Did you have great dreams? I thought you were going to say that you had to spend the next hour soothing the children. :0)