Wednesday, December 3, 2008

They Say It's Your Birthday....

Today is Bubba's sixth birthday. If you asked him, he'd probably say it was a good one.

Cupcakes for breakfast -- though I got them ALL WRONG. They were supposed to be chocolate cupcakes with white icing, not vice versa. When I offered to keep them at home (since they were ALL WRONG) instead of sending them to school, he quickly decided they were just fine.

This is my annual "Letter to Bubba"

Dear Bubba,

People always say "Oh the years have flown by," but there's a reason why everybody says this: They do fly by. Six years have been as though just a day.

Growing up I always wanted to be a mother. I always loved kids and wanted to have six or seven of my own. But I had no idea what actually becoming a mother would do to me.

The day you were born, Bubba, was the day that I became complete. I thought I was my best self before that day, but in the days since I have become more and more satisfied with the me-ness of me. You, and my love for you, push me to be a better person. I want to be the best mother that I can be for you. And while I don't always succeed, it is the trying that strengthens me.

You are growing up and I can feel you ever so slightly moving away from me, stretching your wings. By no means ready to leave the nest, but certainly no longer a baby. It makes me simultaneously unbearably sad and heart-expandingly proud.

You are so smart, Bubba. Never lose the thirst for answers that you have now. Always be curious about everything.

Don't let anyone hold you back from your dreams. Not even me and your dad. Especially not us. But don't forget that we do know somethings and we will have wisdom to impart.

You have a tender heart, Bubba. You feel things deeply. I know that this tenderness will probably get lost in the testosterone flood of the coming years, but I hope that you keep your sweet heart.

Sometimes I catch your eye and we smile at each other, sending a secret message. I love you. You love me. And we're a good team, you and me. I will always be your champion, your protector. Your mother.

I will do my best so that when you are ready to leave the nest, you will be ready. And even when you leave the nest, I will always be here for you.

Happy Birthday, Bubba. I love you.



10 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Happy birthday to your Bubba! I've loved having a six year old. They're all fun ages, but six seems to really explode. My six year old will only be that way for a little more than a month now. I just hope 7 is as much fun!

Also, cupcakes always do have a way of turning out just right!

HalfAsstic.com said...

Happy Birthday, Bubba! You are going to have a wonderful year!

calicobebop said...

Happy Birthday Bubba! The years go by too quickly...

AndreAnna said...

I love that last photo. He's all like "Ok, woman, I have mah cake. Now where is mah fork!?"

Happy birthday!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Is it bad this now has me dreading my little guy growing up!? Four more years and he'll be there. Happy birthday, Bubba!

Anonymous said...

aww, i got a little tear in my eye. Happy Birthday Bubba!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Bubba! Lots of love from your aunt and uncle and cousins, Birdie and Little Brother.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Bubba!!!

Your post gave me goosebumps.
Except for the line, "But I had no idea what actually becoming a mother would do to me." That line made me splutter and choke and dribble coffee down my chin before I could laugh out loud. The next paragraph put it in context, but I was thinking of the comic, chaotic, hair-sticking-up sort of thing that mothering does to us. :)

Still, a very moving post. We're so lucky, aren't we?

Dysd Housewife said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! and many more!! on channel four!! :)

Burgh Baby said...

Happy (belated) birthday, Bubba!