Monday, December 8, 2008

Just Reading About it Makes Me Tired

Okay, so I'm not doing such a great job with posting my moments of grace, but it was a supremely busy weekend and I just never had an opportunity to sit down at the computer. If I had sat still for more than a moment, I'm sure I would have fallen asleep.

To give you an idea of how busy this weekend was, here's a rundown.

Friday night -- Mr. Daddy's office Christmas party. While it was a lot of fun, we didn't get home until 10:30 and then I had to get everyone's clothes ready for the next day.

Saturday:

5:00 a.m. - wake up to get ready to go to Atlanta
6:00 - wake kids up
6:30 - leave to pick up my mom
7:00 - arrive at my mom's house, leave for Atlanta
8:15 - arrive in Atlanta
8:30 - go to Breakfast with Santa
9:00 - wrestle with Punkin while I attempt to get her to sit in Santa's lap. It was a no-go, which was really frustrating. I have three years of really great photos of the kids with Santa, but not this year. Sometimes I just want to peench her head off.
10:30 - Atlanta Christmas Parade begins. This is always a lot of fun. There are always great marching bands, The Twilight Twirlers (no, they're not vampires, just older ladies in their "twilight years" doing a baton routine). The Briefcase Brigade (a group of business men doing a routine with their briefcases). And finally, Santa, who actually had real reindeer this year.
11:00 - lunch. Waited in the line of the slowest Chick-fil-a employee on record. Seriously, I think I could have jumped behind the counter and been faster.
2:00 - headed back to Athens
3:15 - dropped off my mom.
3:45 - arrived at home. Flopped. For approximately 2.5 seconds before we jumped back in the car to go get our Christmas tree.
4:15 - arrived at tree farm
4:17 - picked out tree
4:19 - on our way home (yes, we're fast like that)
5:00 - arrived home

By this time Mr. Daddy and I were so beat that we agreed we would put up the tree but we would actually decorate it on Sunday.

I'll spare you the minute by minute breakdown of Sunday, but just know that it included, church, a funeral, and the grocery store and that I didn't sit down yesterday until well after 9:00 p.m.

However, as busy as it was, there were some moments of grace. Here are a few that come to mind.

1. Surprise cupcakes.

2. Enjoying having a drink with my husband on a Friday evening in a cozy little bar.

3. Seeing my children's excitement over seeing Santa (from a distance!)

4. Having Punkin sing Jingle Bells to me.

5. Walking into the tree farm, all discussing the merits of various Christmas trees.

6. Feeling the love of my family during times of trouble and sadness.

7. Seeing the glow of the Christmas tree lights in Punkin's eyes.

9 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Reason # 978897 we have a fake tree. The garage is way closer than the tree farm. :)

And I love how much my kid loves the christmas lights!

for a different kind of girl said...

Yesterday, well, the whole weekend, really, was a blur here, too, and while mine required far less traveling, how I wish it would have included surprise cupcakes!

Burgh Baby said...

And now I need a nap. Zzzzzzzzzz . . .

calicobebop said...

Oh my goodness - "twilight twirlers!" That sounds lovely! Even if they aren't vampires... :)

What a busy busy weekend! Glad you were able to take away some highlights.

ps - Muffin went through a stage where both Santa and the Easter Bunny were completely unacceptable. Poor darlings.

Laura said...

I will HAVE to send you a scooby doo cake now. Clearly, you have no time to make one.
What flavor?
(you know, I REALLY wish I could!!!!)

Laurel said...

Tis the season: the most wonderful time of the year and the most tiring. I so get it. I haven't blogged for a week! And you know what? Yours was one of the first I checked 'cause you are a great writer and you brighten my day. Thanks.

Susie said...

Here's to finding more grace than trouble in all those day to day moments with family.

Anonymous said...

good grief I think I need a nap now

Anonymous said...

Awww. I'm so sorry for your loss.

(And I love that Punkin singing to you was a moment of grace. Sounds so sweet!)