And here to present this week's Cool Cat Award is Last Year's Winner Tootsie Farklepants. Tootsie won for her roll in Vintage Thirty.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, this week's Cool Cat Award goes to....Madame Queen!"
See how I did that? Aren't I clever, with my homage to the Oscars? But seriously, a big ol' thanks to Tootsie for this award. I'll be brief with my thanks before the music runs me off stage. And so we don't have to wait 'til next year, I'm going to pass this Cool Cat Award along to Fannie at This Isn't What I Ordered, Lulu over at Lulu's Laundry and my fashion minded friend over at Stay at Home Mom Going Quickly Insane.
Zzzzzzz....oh, sorry! Dozed off there for a minute. Staying up about two hours past your bedtime will do that to you. And I don't even know why I felt compelled to watch. I haven't seen a single one of the films nominated last night. FOR ANYTHING!! Not even Sound Mixing. Or Sound Editing. Which really, what is the difference there?
BUT, I love to watch the Oscars. I love the inevitable and often interminable montages. I love the fashion. And on that note, didn't you think last night was kind of....blah. There was nobody godawful, though Daniel Day Lewis' wife was close, but nobody made me say "Holy Smokes!" either.
1. Helen Mirren's dress. I want to grow up to be Helen Mirren.
2. Tilda Swinton teasing George about his nipples.
3. Best Song winner "Falling Slowly." What a gorgeous song. And big kudos to Jon Stewart for bringing Markita Irglova back so that she could give her speech.
Just a quick aside here...why, when a man and a woman win an award does the man always go up to the mic first and use up all the time? Why? You can bet your bahookie that if I ever win an academy award and my co-winner is a man, I'm going first.
1. Oh, Reege. Must you be so frantic?!
2. Sarah Larson. Girl, if you're gonna be with The Clooney, you've got to represent! What was that dress? I could do my hair better than that. Do you even have a voice? George, George, George. I really think you could do better (me, me, me, pick me!)
3. Cameron Diaz? Girl, it's called sunscreen. Invest in some. Oh, and put on some lips while you're at it. Did you and your stylist have a falling out? (Updated to add: "Putting on lips" in my family means putting on some lipstick. I didn't want anyone to think I was condoning in any way those heinous duck lips everyone seems to be sporting these days!)
4. Low star power. Where were all the big players? Where were Angie and Brad? Tom and Katie. I know where J. Lo is, but it just seemed like a lot of people were missing this year. Did anybody else notice that?
So, there's my postmortem. Maybe I'll get around to watching a few of these movies before the next Oscars. What was your highlight? Your lowlight?
5 years ago