Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Deep Thoughts

It seems like a lot of people I know are going through some heavy stuff right now. Having been through some tough times myself, I'm well aware how easy it is to get sucked down into the muck. To despair that things will ever get better. To let one negative thing send me into a spiral of depression.

I'm about to get a little religious up in here, but I hope you will continue to read it even if you aren't religious because I think there is a message here that transcends religion and can touch everybody with a heart.

In Sunday School a couple of weeks ago we watched a video called Whirlwind by Rob Bell, from his Nooma series. We've watched a whole series of this guy's videos and he thinks about religion in a way that I've never encountered. He brings it into real world terms with real world applications. He's caught some flack for his "Hollywood" productions but I guess the reason I like him is that the message he gives urges us to follow Jesus and treat others as Jesus did -- help the poor, the widows, the "least of these."

In Whirlwind, Bell addresses when bad things happen to good people (specifically referencing Job.) We all want answers, but often there are no answers. But what would it be like if we just let it go? And quit wondering? I'm not saying "Oh, there's a reason for everything, it will all be clear eventually." Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

But the most important thing I took from his message was this: when you're sitting in the middle of the shambles that is your job/lack of job/foreclosed house/divorce, just know that your story is not over. Your story is NOT OVER. MY story is not over.

And that, that brings me hope.

8 comments:

maggiegracecreates said...

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your good words, Madame Queen.

LMAlphonse said...

Thank you this! It is much easier to wallow and think it's the end instead of remembering that every end is also a beginning...

Unknown said...

I hope whatever whirlwind you're going through right now feels more like a refreshing breeze after a run. (And if it doesn't, you can totally hide in my storm cellar. We have wine down here. ;)!)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Great last line. Thanks!

1blueshi1 said...

Amen, SistahGirl! I have definitely seen the proof of that in my own life over the past few months. It ain't over til it's over!!!

Laurel said...

Love this post. It reminds me that my dad used to say, "The story is long." I have found that to be true. I just need to remember it once in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

Rougeneck said...

The Queen has spoken. She has spoken wisely.