Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'm So Proud I Could Just Bust

You know, I didn't write about Bubba's first day of school. I was in the middle of my funk and I didn't feel like writing and I didn't want to just post any old thing. But now I'm feeling like I'm back in the groove a little bit.

Bubba started kindergarten way back on August 7th. That still seems like summer to me, Georgia Superintendent of Schools, but whatever. I was nervous about his first day because he was going to a new school where he didn't know anybody. Not a single soul. I didn't think he was nervous about it and of course I didn't say anything about it because I didn't want to give him any ideas, you know?

A couple of nights before school started, as I was putting him to bed, I asked him if he was excited about school.

"Yes, but mommy? What if I don't have any friends? What if there are mean kids?"

"Well, Bubba, I bet you'll make a ton of friends on your first day. You've always been really good about making friends. And what do you do about mean kids at camp?"

"I just stay away from them."

"Well, I think that's an excellent plan and you can just do the same thing in kindergarten. And you know what, Bubba? I bet on the first day, everybody's going to be nervous, everybody's going to be wondering 'what if I don't have any friends' or 'what if there's mean kids'. "

If I'm being honest, too, I was afraid he was going to hate school. I had no reason to think he would, but what if he got a bad teacher, someone who didn't like him. Or someone who had no idea what she was doing? I have a cousin who ended up dropping out of school and doing time in prison and his family blames his kindergarten teacher for making him hate school. I mean, I know there are obviously some other issues there, but I just didn't want Bubba to get off on the wrong foot.

Fortunately, we got a great teacher who loves Bubba. And Bubba is thriving. And is loving school. And is learning to READ, a fact that makes me so happy and is only topped by the fact that Bubba is even more excited than I am. A boy after my own heart.

11 comments:

Fannie said...

Glad to hear his year is off to a good start. (BTW, parents have a HUGE influence on their child's education - so good for you!)

for a different kind of girl said...

What a doll! How great to hear he's starting off his first steps in kindergarten on a great footing! My now-first grader really loved kindergarten last year, and was SO ready for it. He learned so much, thanks to such a fantastic teacher (who was in her first year, and when we first met her, I had MASSIVE reservations about, but she really amazed all the parents), and he learned so much. It can be a really great year, and I wish him lots of luck!

1blueshi1 said...

He is SOOOO Adorable---looks JUST LIKE you. I'm glad his year is going so well!!! He will be a reader just like his mom.

Angie McCullagh said...

Awesome! You must be so proud.

I'm absolutely vomitous at the thought of my boy starting the big K next week. He's not the type to make friends quickly. Ergh.

Live.Love.Eat said...

That's great he is doing well. It helps me to hear about this because I am so scared of next year when my little guy starts Kindergarten in a brand new school too. It will probably be the hardest thing as a mom I will have dealt with so far. If that's the case, I am lucky I know.

Anonymous said...

Found you from a comment about shoes on for a different kind of girl's blog. It was about shoes and I was all "I have to read a blog from a woman who feels as strongly about shoes as I do."

And I'm rambling.

Anyways, I've been checking things out and love the first day of kindergarten pics. Also, I can identify with your reading, your love of soup, and the ability to watch Lord of the Ring: Return of the King whenever it's on. (I love the part where Gandalf comes out on the horse and scares away the Ringwraiths and it's all quiet except for this haunting music.)

Again, I digress.

Looking forward to reading more of your blog. Seems like we have a lot in common.

And I apologize for the impossibly long comment. I won't do it again.

Anonymous said...

Yay. But, August 7th? That's crazy. Doesn't that make for an insane electric bill for the schools? TX just moved opening day back to the end of August just for that reason. He looks like he's doing well. And, I can tell you are relieved.

Anonymous said...

I think you should email me the link to this post next year when Gracie starts kindergarten. I'm sure I will be equal parts excited and nervous for her. You handled The Talk *perfectly*!!! Way to go, Mom!!

Susie said...

Oh, I love hearing Starting K. Success stories. Our transition has been slow and heartbreaking. But we are getting there.

Laurel said...

Good for Bubba! Letting your child experience the world and some of the anxieties that come with it is just excruciating for me! Remember Logan's first week of school and that kid punched her in the gut? I thought that was bad, but this year she came home one day saying, "Nobody likes me." While I know that is not true and that she has a grand flair for the dramatic it was still ripped my heart out. I will never get used to this parenting thing! I just keep having to fake it!

Wineplz said...

oh geez...I'm so glad I'm not the only one terrified that her boy won't like school, or won't make friends, or the teacher won't "get" him, or he will be scared of it since he probably won't know a single person in his kindergarten class next fall. I'm so glad that he is enjoying it and thriving in it with a great teacher.

BTW, I can't ever imagine any of your kids dropping out of school and going to prison with a mama like you caring for them. :)