Friday, May 28, 2010

Where Have You Been...

...my blue eyed son daughter? Can anybody name that tune? A big attaboy (or girl) to anybody who can.

Where have I been? Well, let's see. Last week was the kids' last week of school. During that five day period we had:

one baseball practice
one end of the year choir program at church
one baseball game
one pre-K graduation ceremony/field day
one 1st grade awards day
one program at church at which the attendance of both my children was required
a makeup baseball game
church

I didn't go to church last Sunday, though the rest of my family did. I felt kind of guilty about it because I really do love my church and I miss my friends there when I don't see them. But lately, every day of my life I have to get out of the bed and immediately start getting ready to go somewhere. Even on Saturdays. So, when Sunday morning rolled around I didn't feel like waking up and immediately jumping into the shower. As I told a friend of mine, missing church might have been bad for my soul, but the time to relax was good for my spirit.

Today marks the end of an era. Today is Punkin's last day at her school. She been going there for about 2 years (including pre-K) and my son attended pre-K there too. The staff feels like family and I will never forget how helpful they were in helping me manage Punkin's behavior problems. They made me feel like our problems were normal and solvable, something I had not been feeling. And I fully believe that the pre-K teacher we had (Bubba and Punkin both had her) is one of the best teachers I've ever encountered. We have been blessed.

Last night, I made the mistake of offering Punkin a chance to go to her MeMe's house to play with her cousins who are staying there for a couple of days instead of going to school. She immediately started crying because she wanted to do BOTH. She was going to miss her friends and she didn't get a chance to say goodbye to them. We eventually worked out a compromise so that she could go to school (which is offering a camp this week) and see her friends and tell them goodbye and then go to her MeMe's house. But as she sat in my lab and sobbed about missing her friends, I marveled again at how far she's come this year. I used to worry so about her social skills and whether she had any true friends. And apparently she does. And her heart is sad because she won't see them anymore.

And my heart is a little sad today too. Because my baby is growing up. But my heart is happy for the exact same reason.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know JUST what you mean! I was looking through photos with the girls and I started missing their pudgy little toddler-selves. But then I got over it because WOW is it nice that they can play together without me having to be right there allthetime!

So glad that Punkin found her cute little self this year and that things are working out. We were (and still are) rooting for her! (And Bubba too!)

Lauren said...

I'm not going to lie...I was definitely checking daily (ok, twice daily) to see if you were ever coming back (even though it was only like three days) Yippee youre back!

It seems like the end of the school year is the busiest time of year...more so than Christmas, with all the parties, and sports related activities-I'm definitely enjoying all that being over around here!

The Thrailkills said...

I can totally relate. I slept outside our preschool to get our daughter into the school in 2005. We have had one (and a few years both) of our kids in the preschool ever since. This year Xman graduated - full cap and gown and we all said goodbye to that season of our lives. I did it with more tears than anyone else!