Tuesday, July 31, 2007

From the mouths of babes....

This morning on the way to school both kids started in with the daily ritual:
Bubba: Mommy, I want to hear the kids songs.
Punkin: Song, mommy! Song!. ABCB! ABCB! (she's still learning her ABCs)
And since our Laurie Berkner CD is lost (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) I put in our Veggie Tales CD, the one with about a go-zillion songs on it.

Now I can't say for sure, but I don't think I'll ever get tired of this CD. Although with sometimes twice daily repeats of some songs, you just never know. I might. BUT. There are a couple of songs on this CD that I love and that can actually move me to tears.

The first one goes like this:

I thank God for this day,
For the sun in the sky,
For my mom and my dad,
For my piece of apple pie!

For our home on the ground,
For His love that's all around,
That's why I say thanks every day!

Because a thankful heart is a happy heart!
I'm glad for what I have,
Thats an easy way to start!

For the love that He shares,
'Cause He listens to my prayers,
That's why I say thanks every day!

I get so caught up sometimes in the daily grind and the pull of this world that tells me I NEED things. So caught up in the things that I WANT and that I want to give my children that I forget about the thousands and thousands of wonderful things that I HAVE that God has already blessed me with. This day. The sun in the sky. But most of all, my wonderful family -- my husband and my two kids as well as my large extended family. THEY are the greatest blessing that God has given me.

The second song is about prayer as well. The child (vegetable?) singing recounts all the good things he's done that day but follows it up with all the things he did wrong as well.

Verse 2
I somehow overlooked my bed
It seems my dog is underfed
Forgot to change my underclothes
Watched one too many T.V. shows
I had some trouble sharing toys
And during rest time, made some noise
The walls are not for coloring
Sometimes I'm off-key, when I sing

Chorus 2
And so it's really good to know
How much you love me
It's true, the bible says you do
You really love me
Your love was with me all throughout my day

Ending
In my bed so quietly
I rest in knowing: God loves me!

This song is such a powerful reminder to me that even though I'm not perfect, God still loves me anyway. And His love is with me all throughout my day. Don't forget to take time to count your blessings. And don't forget that God loves you, even when you're bad. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also do not forget that there's a CD called "Veggie Rocks" which is Veggie Tales songs covered by various Christian Rock bands. HILARIOUS. You have not heard "Everybody Wants a Water Buffalo" til you've heard this version. ;)

Anonymous said...

Those are some very sweet songs. I wish they were around when my college-age son was growing up.

I think I'll slip one into his CD player.