Thursday, September 30, 2010

I Can Play Dirty Too

Katie's Love Thursday Post over at Can't Get There From Here reminded of a dirty, low down trick I played recently. I did it for good reasons and I don't regret it, but I do feel slightly guilty about it.

If you follow me on Twitter, you know that I went to visit AndreAnna in Iowa last weekend. For the record, I had a blast. AndreAnna is one of the funniest, most down to earth women I've ever met. Our visit was great -- it just felt comfortable from the get-go and it was like we'd known each other forever, which if you consider the fact that we've been reading each other's blogs for about three years now, we kind of have known each other for a while. Oh, and her kids and her husband are pretty great too. They all made me feel so at home, especially Charlotte with her hugs and her spontaneous declarations of love.

But anyhoo, on Saturday AndreAnna and I drove into Chicago to hang out with Samantha of Campenette, Katie from Pseudostoops, Sara of Belle Plaine, Anne of Annabelle Speaks, and Mandi of McMama's Musings -- cool ladies, one and all! We went out to dinner and then went to a bar nearby where we were waited upon by the most fabulous pair of gay waiters I've ever had the pleasure to know.

An aside -- if you're ever feeling down or not so good about yourself, go out with a group of girlfriends and find yourself a good gay waiter. There's nothing that will make you feel quite so fabulous.

Anyway, back to my dirty trick. On Sunday, AndreAnna dropped me off at the airport -- no mean feat since we got lost twice because we were too busy talking and not paying attention to signs. I called Mr. Daddy from the airport to let him know I was there and we immediately got into an argument.

See, Mr. Daddy has house fever. Again. I think it's sort of like malaria? You can never really be cured of it? And he'd been calling me all weekend talking about this house and texting me pictures of it and I'm all the way in Chicago and can't do squat about it. Plus, I'm loathe to get my hopes up again because we all know how this keeps turning out, right? I get all excited about a house only to find out that there's nobody out there willing to loan us any money until at least next spring. So, I'm testy, is what I'm saying.

We get into a shouting match and we both hang up in anger. I started feeling remorseful and did not want to fly home in the middle of an argument. That's like asking the gods to please make my plane crash, right? I mean, that's like headline news right there. "Wife killed in plane crash. Husband remorseful because of fight before takeoff."

So, I called back. He wouldn't answer. Called again. Straight to voicemail. Called again. No answer. Texted him to TAKE MY CALL. Nothing. Called again. No answer.

Now, I'm starting to get pissed. And then I did it. The thing I feel guilty about. I sent him the following text:

"You're going to feel bad when my plane crashes and you've been so mean to me."

In a nanosecond after hitting send, my phone rang.

"You knew that would get a response, didn't you?" he said, kind of laughing.

"Yep!" And that's why I did it. I admit, it was a low down dirty trick. But I really didn't want to get on that plane without making up. Just in case. What if the worst case scenario DID happen? I certainly didn't want our last words to have been angry ones.

So, I played dirty. And then I told him that I loved him. It might not have been my proudest moment, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.


8 comments:

Robyn said...

LOVE it!

I would have done the same thing.

Amblus said...

Absolutely. I don't even like leaving the house angry because I'm always afraid I'll get in a car accident and perish.

Also, HOW did I miss that you hung out with AndreAnna last weekend? So freaking jealous.

Burgh Baby said...

Nah, you didn't play dirty. You just stooped to his level. He should haven answered your calls instead of being all emo about it. Heh.

AndreAnna said...

LOL and that is why I love Michelle She said things like "being all emo about it" HAHAHA.

So glad you made it here, I miss you already!!!

P.S. I'm always the one that hangs up first in an argument and then calls right back and says "IloveyouilltalktoyoulaterjustwantedtomakesureyoudidntdieOKAYBYE!"

Unknown said...

Heh - I'm with Michelle, only I wasn't going to be quite as original. I was thinking more of what my Gracie would say: "He started it!" And the end justifies the means, girly. You wanted to tell him you loved his big ol' house-crazy self and that's all that matters.

for a different kind of girl said...

Oh, hmmm...I must confess I pulled something along this last night. Heck, I even used metaphors and poetic justices while leaving my simmering voice mail on my husband's phone. Then minutes after I hung up, I was overcome with a wave of 'What if?' that gripped me...but dang it! I was mad...so I didn't call back after HE didn't call me back! Good heaven, sometimes I am the queen of passive aggressiveness (and honestly, I'm not proud of that)!

Sarah Lena said...

I am TOTALLY the non-answerer. I am really really dedicated to it. People who know me and love me understand that my phone is more of a pager, if anything. I WILL NOT ANSWER, SO DON'T CALL. Send me a text and I'll answer you when I feel like it.

This is 1/2 selfishness and 1/2 phone-phobia.

Either way, my husband does these dirty tricks all the time too.

In reality, us non-answerers don't really mind them. :)

Laurel said...

You have me wondering about my moral compass, 'cause I don't think that's dirty. I'd totally do it, and I wouldn't feel bad about it one bit. I give you two thumbs up!

Glad you had a great trip. Sounds like a blast!